Kindergarten opens the door to the child's formal education. It builds the foundation for future learning experiences.
Our major objectives are for the children to:
- Gain confidence in the school setting
- Establish friendships and learn to work and play together
- Develop an understanding of school rules and procedures
- Be exposed to materials and concepts in a variety of subjects, and master basic skills
Children in kindergarten learn through hands-on, active experience. The emphasis is on the process of learning, rather than the specific end products. Each day is shaped by a balance of teacher-directed activities and those which result from the needs, interests and prior experiences of the children. Subject areas are integrated throughout the school day and with a thematic approach.
Although the daily schedule varies in each classroom, a general schedule of kindergarten activities include:
- Opening/music and movement/sharing
- Literacy-reading, writing and speaking
- Learning centers- social skills
- Math/science/social studies
Kindergarten supplies are purchased for all students through the Southview PTO. Parents are asked to pay for supplies in the fall and the supplies will be distributed to students by their classroom teacher when school begins.